Join the RCSB PDB Team
Participate in exciting projects with significant impact on the scientific community. Why Join Us | About RCSB PDB
Positions: Postdoctoral Researcher (UCSD) | Postdoctoral Researcher (UCSF) | Gap Year | Undergraduate Summer Research
Postdoctoral Researcher (UCSD)
We are seeking a talented, highly motivated postdoctoral researcher to join the multidisciplinary team of the RCSB Protein Data Bank at UC San Diego, San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC).
Fast and accurate search of protein structures by 3-dimensional shape in large databases continues to be a challenge in Bioinformatics. This has been exacerbated by the recent appearance of accurate methods to predict protein structures from sequence. Those methods, when applied to existing protein sequence databases, produce numbers of structures many orders of magnitude larger than the existing experimental knowledge in the PDB database. The incumbent will research novel methods to compare macromolecular structures that are scalable to the deluge of structural data and that work at any level: domains, chains or assemblies. The ultimate aim of this project is to improve the findability of data in the PDB by building the next generation search engine for structural molecular biology.
Note, this position is reviewed annually on the basis of performance and can be renewed.
Qualifications: Ph.D. in one of the following research areas
- Computer Science with a focus on Bioinformatics
- Structural Bioinformatics, or related field with a focus on software development
- Structural Biology with a focus on software development
- Demonstrated proficiency in a high-level programming language, such as Java, Python, C++, and experience with state of the art software engineering tools.
- Strong skills in problem solving and algorithm design are required.
- Experience in Machine Learning/Deep Learning is desirable.
- A background in NoSQL database technologies would be beneficial.
- Experience in development of modern web applications, user interface design, or scientific visualization would also be a plus.
- We expect candidates to have shown high productivity demonstrated by publications and contributions to open source software projects.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required.
Postdoctoral Researcher (UCSF)
The research group of Andrej Sali at UCSF (Andrej Sali Lab) is seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral researcher in bioinformatics, with domain experience in structural biology. The candidate should be interested in structural biological data and enjoy engaging with other programmers and scientists in a collaborative team environment. The position is part of the RCSB Protein Data Bank effort at University of California, San Francisco, focused on the development of resources for the integrative methods initiative of worldwide Protein Data Bank. The effort has already produced a number of scientific publications, and is expected to provide ample opportunities for additional first-author publications in the future, including in Bayesian validation of structural models in general, one of the frontiers in structural biology.
- Design, development, and deployment of the nascent archive for integrative structures at the Protein Data Bank, PDB-Dev.
- Integration of complex bioinformatics data, implementation of specialized algorithms for search/data analysis and use of AI tools.
- Design and implementation of cloud-ready deployments using containerization and modern cloud technologies
- Analysis, refactoring and adaptation of legacy code to conform to new architecture designs
- Debugging, testing, troubleshooting
- PhD in Computer Science, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, or a related discipline, or a comparable combination of education and experience developing modern scientific data applications
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Experience with Python, document databases, search and data access tools
Scientific background in any of the following areas would be considered a major plus: Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics, Cheminformatics, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Genomics.
Experience working with large and complex scientific datasets would also be considered a plus.
Outstanding Benefits Package
UCSF is a friendly and collaborative working environment with excellent professional development opportunities. There are personal rewards including a comprehensive health plan.
About the Sali research group at UCSF:Andrej Sali Lab
About RCSB PDB:
The work at RCSB PDB (RCSB) focuses on data analysis, integration, and transformation, and the presentation and visualization of data using complex interactive graphical user interfaces. An important aspect is to provide users with the ability to search and explore the PDB data archive. Solutions are implemented using a wide range of components developed and maintained in-house, in addition to third-party tools, libraries, frameworks and technologies. The candidate should be comfortable working in a dynamic environment, and able to demonstrate an ability to think creatively, generate new ideas, and implement solutions. The candidate should also show an eagerness to learn new skills and technologies.
Please send an email with a cover letter and CV to Andrej Sali at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gap Year Opportunities For Scientific Software Developers (Rutgers)
Interested in spending your gap year with RCSB PDB? 6-month and 1-year opportunities may be available for recent graduates with combined experience in computer science and biology/chemistry.
To apply, students should email email@example.com with a resume, unofficial transcript, and cover letter.
Undergraduate Summer Research (Rutgers)
Interested in interning with the RCSB PDB? We partner with the Research Intensive Summer Experience (RISE) at Rutgers, a nationally acclaimed summer research program for outstanding undergraduates from diverse backgrounds. Scholars participate in 10 weeks of cutting-edge research in the biological, physical, and social/ behavioral sciences, math, engineering, and exciting interdisciplinary areas under the guidance of carefully matched faculty mentors. A comprehensive professional development component complements the research.
RCSB PDB is looking for undergraduates with combined experience in computer science and biology/chemistry.
Applications open in November and close when positions are filled.
Questions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why Join Us
At RCSB PDB, you can apply your skills and enthusiasm to transform research and education around the world. RCSB PDB, a founding partner of the Worldwide Protein Data Bank organization (wwPDB; wwpdb.org), is a worldwide leader that supports an international community of users and leads a global resource for 3D macromolecular data central to scientific discovery in fundamental biology, health, energy, and biotechnology.
Collaborate in a culture of innovation
Fostering diversity and inclusion is part of RCSB PDB’s culture and values.
Team members work at three academic institutions: Rutgers, UCSD/SDSC, and UCSF. Positions are available at:
Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
The Institute for Quantitative Biomedicine (IQB) at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey is located alongside other prominent biomedical research centers and health sciences on a suburban campus which is near New York City and the Jersey shore. Our community values leadership, respect, innovation and creativity, research and scholarship, integrity, and teamwork. Rutgers is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education and is committed to building a beloved community through University Equity and Inclusion. Established in 1766, the university is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the United States. More than 70,000 students and 23,400 full- and part-time faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world.
Enjoy State of New Jersey and University benefits:
- Financial incentives: Faculty-level salary, personal rewards based on performance, life insurance, family leave, accident-at-work, unemployment insurances, and the Alternate Benefit Program (ABP) for retirement which results in an 8% match from Rutgers. Also, Rutgers offers options programs for reducing taxable income including: Access to an optional Tax-Free Health Spending Account, and a Dependent Care Spending Account.
- Flexible work arrangements
- Medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including prescription, dental and optical cover).
- Generous time off: Faculty members enjoy 22 days annual leave plus 5 New Jersey Earned Sick Leave days, in addition to 13 University holidays per year.
- Relocation package
- Retirement plan: State pension plans for Alternate Benefit Program (ABP) and Deferred Compensation Plan (NJSEDCP)
- Campus life: Free campus bus, nearby train station, on-site library, on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code
- Family benefits: Free college tuition for you and your children, generous parental leave, tax saving plans for childcare and medical expenses, and state-of-the art campus facilities
For more details, please see our employee benefits page.
University of California at San Diego-San Diego Supercomputer Center
The San Diego Supercomputer Center is located in the main UC San Diego Campus in La Jolla, steps away from the Pacific Ocean. As an Organized Research Unit of UC San Diego, the San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC) is considered a leader in data-intensive computing and cyberinfrastructure, providing resources, services, and expertise to the national research community, including industry and academia. Cyberinfrastructure refers to an accessible, integrated network of computer-based resources and expertise, focused on accelerating scientific inquiry and discovery. SDSC supports hundreds of multidisciplinary programs spanning a wide variety of domains, from earth sciences and biology to astrophysics, bioinformatics, and health IT. SDSC launched Comet, a petascale supercomputer that joins the Center’s data-intensive Gordon cluster. Our community values leadership, respect, innovation and creativity, research and scholarship, integrity, and teamwork. UCSD is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community through University Diversity and Inclusion.
Enjoy State of California and University Benefits
- Financial incentives: Life, disability and accident insurances
- Flexible work arrangements
- Medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 3 weeks per year to start for most career employees, increasing based on years of service. 12 Sick days per year with unlimited accrual.
- Relocation package
- Retirement plan: University of California Retirement Plan (UCRP) or 401(k) Savings Plan
- Campus life: On-site library, on-site gym and plenty of quality food choices on campus, casual dress code
- Family benefits: Generous parental leave, and state-of-the art campus facilities such as gym and swimming pools. On-site Early Child Education Center with priority access for employees
For more details, please see our employee benefits page.
University of California San Francisco
UCSF, UCSF Health and the UC system offer a range of benefits and services that support our teammates throughout the employee life cycle.